The area once belonged to Mrs. Griffin of Whiteside, west of Petrie, and was acquired by a Scottish migrant by the name of Thomas Petrie in 1855. The name Kallangur originates from the Aboriginal word kalangoor, meaning a goodly or satisfactory place.
Cobb and Co coach, Old Gympie Road, Kallangur Gympie Road (now Old Gympie Road) passed through Kallangur from Brisbane to Gympie. It was a route travelled by Cobb & Co coaches.
Kallangur grew in the early twentieth century as it was on the main road route to the Redcliffe peninsula before the construction of the Hornibrook Bridge in the 1930s. More recent development has been in response to the general housing demand in the northern growth corridor. The main thoroughfare in Kallangur is route 71, Anzac Avenue.
An ANZAC memorial gate was erected along with a bronze statue on the corner of Anzac Avenue and Goodfellows Road. The new Memorial Gardens was unveiled in front of the North’s Leagues and Services Club in 2005 by the former Minister for Veterans’ Affairs De-Anne Kelly.